We'd always been drawn to Africa though sponsorship programs and the like so it seemed a likely road to take. Ethiopia was like a magnet pulling us to submission; we fell in love instantly with the history, culture and the plight of the people. With Charlotte we sought her in our loving desire to parent another child. With our current adoption we want to add to the family but we also feel an obligation to be submissive to God's plan for us. Growing up I never aspired to be a Mom; I was career focused and wanted to explore the world. Now, as a I raise my three children, I feel as though the world is a part of us and I know that where I am is exactly where I need to be.
We adopted and continue on with adoption because this is the way God has brought us together. We span ancestry, race and personality while collectively uniting through faith and trust, love and devotedness. Our similarities and differences make us who we are - a family of individuals. This is why we adopt. John 14:18 "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you."
I've taken this opportunity to answer some questions we have been asked or those that we may be asked...
- You make such beautiful children, why would you choose to adopt? God makes beautiful children everywhere and we are blessed to be chosen to parent this beautiful little girl and any other children in our future.
- Adoption is expensive isn't it... How much did it cost? It cost as much as needed to cover adoption fees. Our children weren't bought. When we had our Sophia and Etienne we paid medical fees to bring them into the world. Money is a detail not a determinant.
- Why did you adopt from Africa and not here? Because our daughter was in Ethiopia. Maybe we will be called to adopt domestically in the future.
- Could her birth mother ask for her back? No, she gave her up for adoption because she wanted to give her life. Someday I hope to be able to thank her in person for her selflessness.
- Did you get to pick your baby? No, God chose her for us.
- Has she adjusted to the family? She has been a perfect fit since the moment she arrived.